Friday 18 June 2010

The cunning plan...

After reading up on my Tau knowledge I had a good idea of what I wanted to do with the army. I read about how Kroot make good bubble wrap and then immedialtley disregarded it (which, when you see my list might have been a bad idea). So, for a 1500 point army that will be fighting alot of Mechdar and Marines of assorted flavours.

This leaves me with something of a problem. Tau can run shooty rings around marines thanks to Jump-Shoot-Jump and Multitrackers. However, Eldar can do it better, probably to my detriment. With this in mind I went with Pathfinders to reduce cover saves and Deathrains to pop the Wave Serpents. After lots of tinkering around with ideas and several versions in my head I have finally come up with a plan:

HQ

Shas'el 122
TA
PR
MP
MT
2 Shield drones

Elites

Fire Knives 231
3 Models
PR,MP,MT
Bonded
1 Gun Drone

Deathrains 156
3 Models
TL-MP, Flamers
Bonded
1 Gun Drone

Troops

Fire Warriors 155
6 Models
Devilfish with Disruption Pod and Multi-tracker

Fire Warriors 155
6 Models
Devilfish with Disruption Pod and Multitracker

Fast Attack

Pathfinders 191
8Models
Devilfish with Disruption Pod and Multitracker

Heavy Support

Broadside Team 180
2 Models
2 Shield Drones
Bonded

Railhead 155
Disruption Pod
Multitracker

Railhead 155
Disruption Pod
Multitracker

Total: 1500

This list takes a hue amount of inspiration from Old Shatter Hands from Tau of War. I'm going for a fully mobile, target saturation, tricksy-contesty army. I believe I have weapons, in sufficient amounts to deal with anything. There are alot of mid armoured tanks to confuse enemy AT and a fair few battlesuits to help spread out anti meq fire.

There are some weaknesses that stand out at me though. Even in cover, the Broadsides are going to have a tough time, however, there isn't going to be a huge amount of targets for them and so as long as they kill their prime target they are more or less expendable. They could hopefully soak up fire meant for the rest of the army.

Problem number two: the pathfinders, they are going to spend almost the entire game out on the board and being such a potential threat, they are going to be on the receiving end of alot of hate and the fact that they are the only light infantry on the board only makes that worse.

Thirdly, the Broadsides and Pathfinders are going to be a hugely tempting target for outflankers and assault units.

Thats the main problems I can see. I know people are going to tell me to give the Pathfinders' fish to a FW squad but I like having it around, it helps with target saturation and means that I can keep the FW in reserve inside the transport.

Whaddya think?

2 comments:

  1. I know next to nothing about Tau, but I think Kroot are far too important to overlook. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you dropped one of the fire warrior's devilfish and spent the points on kroot?

    Your firewarriors could hitch a ride in the pathfinder's 'fish.

    ReplyDelete